Demonware creates and provides the online services behind hugely popular video game franchises such as Call of Duty and Skylanders. We do matchmaking, microtransactions, and data analytics for almost half a billion users. Demonware has offices in Dublin, Ireland; Vancouver, Canada; and Shanghai, China, and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard, Inc.
We have an opening in our Dublin office for an experienced DevOps engineer with a strong working knowledge of building and deploying services at scale in AWS, to join the DEPCON team in our Platform department.
The DEPCON team is responsible for developing and maintaining the tools and platform services that our engineers rely on to deploy and operate reliable, scalable online gaming services both in our data centers as well as in the cloud.
In this role you will be a key contributor to the evolution and operation at scale of our next generation deployment pipeline and operations platform, which currently makes use of technologies like Jenkins, Docker, Marathon/Mesos running on top of AWS, and which aims to ensure that Demonware services are highly available, self-healing and auto-scaling.
- Evolving, scaling, productizing and supporting the operations platform.
- Providing technical leadership and mentoring on topics relating to the secure and cost-effective use of AWS at scale, in a multi-tenant environment.
- Active participation in design and code reviews.
- Troubleshooting and debugging, often in collaboration with various internal teams.
- Performing root cause analyses and proposing and/or implementing appropriate engineering solutions to prevent or mitigate recurring incidents.
- Participation in a best-effort on-call support rotation.
- A degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent
5+ years relevant experience, preferably in high-volume and/or critical production service environments
- Demonstrated excellence in written and verbal communication within and between teams
- Strong programming skills, preferably in Python, and an insatiable desire to automate all the things
- Experience developing and deploying large scale distributed systems in AWS (hundreds to thousands of instances)
- Experience with multi-tenant environments
- Experience with containers and container orchestration technologies
- Solid understanding of fundamental technologies, e.g. TCP/IP, Linux/Unix internals
- Proven ability to take initiative for continuous improvement
- A passion for delighting internal customers
If you enjoy working with very smart people on complex problems, building upon industry-leading technology, Demonware is the place for you. We are a team of exceptionally passionate people that, despite its small size, is able to accomplish a lot; we do this by making sure every individual plays a major role at Demonware. We look forward to hearing from you.
What Demonware offers:
- An excellent salary, with annual performance reviews and discretionary bonuses
- 5 weeks of vacation, standard
- Pension matching and contributions
- Top-tier medical, dental, and life insurance coverage
- Flexible working practices, based on the belief that the quality of your work is not dependent on the number of hours sitting behind a desk
- A culture that emphasizes continual learning and improvement, with opportunities for career progression, travel, and a commitment to open source
Demonware by the numbers:
- 469+ million gamers
- 3.2+ million concurrent online gamers
- 100+ games
- 300,000 requests per second at peak
- Average query response time of <.02 second
- 630,000+ metrics a minute
- 132 billion+ API calls per month
Please note: We do not require agency assistance at this time.